Must Be Tuesday
Chatter from A to Z with a special place for Buffy, Angel and Apolo Anton Ohno.
Thursday, May 11, 2006
Let the Games Begin! (maybe)

Our Mayor Daley wants to bid for the 2016 summer olympics to be here in Chicago. Well, anyone who has been reading my blog in the last several months know that I love the olympics. Particularly the Winter Olympics because of a certain short track speedskater, Apolo Anton Ohno. (yum, yum)

Since I'd still be alive in 2016 and most likely still living in Chicago, hell yeah I'm going to the olympics in my own city. BUT I must say that I think it will cause some major problems and a lot of 'uneven distribution' in the city. What I mean by this is certain parts of the city will be catered too and others won't. I take the bus and train places, so I can't even imagine the traffic, the people, the waits IN THE SUMMER (hello tourist season in Chicago is bad enough as it is) when the Olympics is in town. Also for certain businesses, who may think they'll be on the tourist route, and won't. Not everyone will prosper financially from this.

The busses are slow as it is, what are they going to be then? I don't even want to think about it. Many people taking certain bus routes will be left waiting for hours while the olympic tourists have busses coming every 5 minutes. I feel conflicted because I'd be proud and giddy to be living in the host city, but I don't actually see it turning out that great.

I'm going to the games in Canada though, I wish I could go to the summer games in Beijing. Now that would be cool.
Gunngirl believed The Truth is still Out There at 10:13 AM  
6 commentst:
  • At 9:07 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    You wouldn't go to the London Games then?

     
  • At 10:29 AM, Blogger mrs. awesome said…

    i can't even imagine the buses, the L, all the people. it would be hella slow and crazy. but it IS the olympics.

     
  • At 8:12 PM, Blogger L said…

    That would be kool to go and see the Olympics.
    BTW I love your avatar.

     
  • At 6:34 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    WOW, you're going to the Olympics? I'm openly envious... :)

     
  • At 8:09 AM, Blogger Linda said…

    *waves* Hi GG.
    That would be cool to see the winter olympics. I know you will luv it!

    I could see the pros and cons on the city hosting the Olympics. Traffic, tourists but then again it is the Olympics. That would be just awesome if you could see both the summer and winter ones.

    p.s.
    luv your avator too :) You and Lori inspired me to do one.

     
  • At 8:45 AM, Blogger Gunngirl said…

    Gareth--haha, I sure would. heh

    mimi--you're right. It would be a better idea to get outta dodge if you're not inspired.

    cherish--thanks. It sure has it's pros and cons. Eeek!

    grody--you and me both. Sometimes downtown looks like the olympics is already in town. Especially Michigan Avenue.

    Lori--Yeah, I'd love to see the olympics. If I think I have Olympic fever at home, I can't imagine in person.

    Rebecca--I figured Canada isn't too far, it not like Italy this year. I can make that, but I need prices people, prices!

    BG--*waves* hi Beady! I will love it, I think that would be cool too, to just have to travel within (or outside) my own city to see the games. Very cool.

    Thanks, about the avatar

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
    Follow me on Twitter!
     
    Who's behind this madness?

    Name: Gunngirl
    Home: Chicago, IL, United States
    Would you like to know more?
    Virtual Gunngirl
      Yahoo! Avatars
    Scooby Gang
    The Chosen Ones
    The Bronze


    Dusted
    The Library
    Elsewhere to be?

    Subscribe with Bloglines Catster: the site for cat lovers Add to Google

    More Buffy love
    The Mansion



    Catster: the site for cat lovers

    Made possible by

    15n41n1