Must Be Tuesday
Chatter from A to Z with a special place for Buffy, Angel and Apolo Anton Ohno.
Sunday, February 25, 2007
2007: Bad, worse, intolerable
This new year has really hit my family hard. Things suddenly just got so bad in the last month or so. About a week and a half ago my sister was laid off. She is having an EXTREMELY hard time dealing with it. I know that the wound is still fresh, but I feel like she isn't hitting the ground running, but walking and stumbling.

She is intent on spending $300 for a resume and any time I offer to help her with one she just gets all emotional and I have to just drop it. She has over 10 years with this school and the new principal just tossed her yesterday's newspaper. And my sister is also intent on taking some web design class for $2000. I just think she's wasting money, I don't think web design is as big as it once was. Suffice to say we don't have fun anymore. Any time spent with her is consoling her or her going on about how she can't believe this happened and crying and such, but I feel like it's done and she needs to focus. She still has the next four months and she has a job over the summer, so it's not as bad as some people who get fired and that's it.

***********

For even more devastating news, the snow and rain and snow and rain has pummeled our roof and one entire wall in the dining room is leaking INSIDE THE WALL. I'm horrified that the wall will collapse. The destructing just steamrolled in about ten minutes it was leaking like someone was up there with a bucket.

I see why people just kill themselves and put themselves out of their misery.

**********

One last shitty event? The mayor is reawakening a plan to build a crosstown expressway that will roll right over our block and house. Yes, that means tearing down out neighborhood and forcing us to move. Is that enough for you? Because that's plenty of crappy news for me.

If you don't hear from me soon I may be hanging in my basement.
Gunngirl believed The Truth is still Out There at 4:28 PM  
6 commentst:
  • At 9:00 AM, Blogger Susan said…

    Sheesh...

    Your sister will be just fine...I was the same way I first got laid off. I cried for days then I realized I didn't care I wanted a new job. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise.

    The house stuff pretty much stinks but if they build the expressway, you'll have to move but you don't have to deal with the leaking wall. : )

     
  • At 6:06 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Awwwww I'm really sorry to read all of this.
    Your sister should look upon this as a new beginning, a new opportunity to try the things she has always wanted to do. I'm not really sure why it costs $300 for a resume. She could do one on your computer and it would look just as impressive :)
    And I wonder how the mayor would feel if the next mayor was to build an expressway over the top of his home. You should go and throw eggs at his windows and then blame it on the passengers throwing stuff out their windows from the new expressway which was built over his house in the middle of the night ;-)

     
  • At 6:43 AM, Blogger EnnuiHerself said…

    I'm sorry to read that you're having such a tough time right now.

    You're sister sounds like she might be dealing with being laid off somewhat normally. Sometimes after a disappointment, people just need to sit around and process and . As long as she can still pay the bills, there's probably no harm for the time being.

    I agree with you about the web design. It's not the hot, cutting edge skill that it used to be. I think that she's just a little panicked about being out of work but it's good that she's at least trying to use this time productively. I don't understand why she needs to pay $300 for a resume though . . .

    The whole house thing sound like a nightmare. But, like someone pointed out, the building of the expressway means that you won't have to deal with damage.

     
  • At 9:02 AM, Blogger Linda said…

    (((((GG))))))
    Thinking of you.

     
  • At 12:24 PM, Blogger Phats said…

    I hope things start looking up for you SOON!!

    Thinking of ya

     
  • At 5:30 PM, Blogger Louisiana said…

    you have such a wonderful heart angel. here you are having such a hard time with all these incredible stuff and you still find time and caring to offer such beautiful words for Jame's soul. thank you my sweet. thank you for your kindness and for being you..

    i'm so sorry for your sister is having it so rough. it does hurt bad and it is devastating. she needs your love and prayers and i'm so glad she has you as part of her family. and for your roof, oh sweet, how scary and sad. do you have any insurance and if not, is there any aid from the govt for all these natural disasters? i'm sorry for the upcoming loss of your neighbourhood and for your heart as it is stressed and sad. i send you hugs, many hugs, may best wishes for you both and your sis and my prayers for the best outcoming...

    XOXO

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
    Follow me on Twitter!
     
    Who's behind this madness?

    Name: Gunngirl
    Home: Chicago, IL, United States
    Would you like to know more?
    Virtual Gunngirl
      Yahoo! Avatars
    Scooby Gang
    The Chosen Ones
    The Bronze


    Dusted
    The Library
    Elsewhere to be?

    Subscribe with Bloglines Catster: the site for cat lovers Add to Google

    More Buffy love
    The Mansion



    Catster: the site for cat lovers

    Made possible by

    15n41n1