Must Be Tuesday
Chatter from A to Z with a special place for Buffy, Angel and Apolo Anton Ohno.
Saturday, June 03, 2006
depressing times 3
I just realized as I was posting that all of my topics aren't very joyous. First, I watched an HBO documentary called Shelter Dogs for the first time. As an AVID and extreme animal lover/supporter I avoided this after a couple people told me about some of the sad scenes. It's the same reason I avoided March of the Penguins, but I digress. So, I watched this documentary today, and cried, and cried during a scene where they had to put down a cute little black dog because he was pretty aggressive.

The thing was he wasn't always aggressive. He sat when told, wagged his tail, looked cute. But he bit pretty hard at the fake hand they use to gage their temperment. If I had a house and lots of land I'd still be willing to take these types of dogs. I just don't think they're that bad and need to be put down. But again, I digress. The shelter employee that drove him to put him down stopped at McDonalds to buy him some chicken McNuggets. She said he needed at least a little treat before it happend. This pushed me over the edge because it was something I didn't really get to give Scarlett before she died and it depressed me to no end. I really did love that cat. *sob*

Also, I'm in currently reading Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. I'm sure you're all familiar. I never read this, started a year ago and never finished. The protaganist, Holden Caulfield, has a traumatic past, is in his own world, perhaps more intelligent for his own good and I don't think the book is a ray of light. But once again this is my Summer of Classics so I'm trying to read a few books that I've never read before. Which brings me to...

The next book I plan on reading. Watership Down, by Richard Adams. It's the story of a bunch of Rabbits fleeing the destruction of their home by land developers. I've never heard of it and was never required to read it at school. I first heard about it in the movie Donnie Darko. (I suggest visiting the link if you're curious) Donnie Darko was very good.

At any rate, the book was featured in a pretty big scene in the movie, and it made me want to read it. Has anyone ever read either of these books? Ever wanted too? If you've read one or both let me know what you thought.

And just to lighten things up I'm also reading "Dead as a Doornail" by Charlaine Harris. A Sookie Stackhouse Vampire novel. You know, to keep me grounded. lol
Gunngirl believed The Truth is still Out There at 12:39 PM  
5 commentst:
  • At 12:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I have a passion for animals too. I love watching docs and wildlife programmes. I hate seeing animals being 'put down' when I know that they are not beyond help. Did that make sense?
    Yeah I've heard of Watership Down a few times but never read the book.

     
  • At 1:30 PM, Blogger Gunngirl said…

    Mr. Fab--You're not alone. There was a Donnie Darko cult club for years before I'd even heard of it or seen it. I arrived late to the party too.

    Garath--I know exactly what you mean. I could never put down a tail wagging dog still licking my hands. It's just not right. I think they can be redeemed. The problem is there isn't room or time for it. I hate the circumstances. HATE them!

     
  • At 7:38 AM, Blogger Linda said…

    I can't watch the things about animals. I cry to much. When they showed all the animals that was left behind after Katrina in New Orleans I just cried and cried. I luv dogs and always helping them if find them lost or like the 2 that came up from the river the other day. They are now fed and happy. Lori's dog Chico loco came from me. I found him along side the road with his sister. The buzzards already took care of one of them... I took his sister to the pound so they could take care of her. She had a broke leg and I did not have the $$$ for a vet but I knew they would take care of her. My son and I took care of Chico and I delivered him to Lori in Florida. Anyways I am babbling...LOL I have not read Catcher and the Rye, I should pick it up next trip the library.

     
  • At 2:17 PM, Blogger exMI said…

    Just watched Donnie Darko last week. It had been on my list for awhile. I read Watership down years ago and re-read it everynow and then. It is an EXCELLENT book.

     
  • At 6:54 PM, Blogger Stephalupogus said…

    Exmi is right about Watership Down being an excellent read, but I cried at numerous parts because it was so sad. But since I can't watch Animal Planet without crying at least once per show, I would guess that you will have the same reaction I did when I read it. In other words, have a box of kleenex close.

    As for "March of the Penguins," I watched that & while there were lots of moments that had me in tears, it was so incredibly beautiful that we ended up buying it & the sequel, "Deep Blue" or something similar. That was actually worth watching/buying just for the absolutely stunning scenes they caught on film & has become our favorite to pop in.

    Donnie Darko, I have never heard of it. Sounds interesting.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
    Follow me on Twitter!
     
    Who's behind this madness?

    Name: Gunngirl
    Home: Chicago, IL, United States
    Would you like to know more?
    Virtual Gunngirl
      Yahoo! Avatars
    Scooby Gang
    The Chosen Ones
    The Bronze


    Dusted
    The Library
    Elsewhere to be?

    Subscribe with Bloglines Catster: the site for cat lovers Add to Google

    More Buffy love
    The Mansion



    Catster: the site for cat lovers

    Made possible by

    15n41n1