Must Be Tuesday
Chatter from A to Z with a special place for Buffy, Angel and Apolo Anton Ohno.
Friday, September 09, 2005
Same shows, just set to music


In my attempt to escape reality as well as my depression, I took to the internet and, sure enough, I found my new obsession. Well, I'd like it to be my new obsession, but as I've looked around, the consensus is that said hobby is very, very time consuming, tiring, difficult, possibly expensive...and did I mention difficult and time consuming?

What I'm talking about it vidding. Vidding (aka fanvids), as I've come to learn, is the process of taking clips from TV shows and/or movies, splicing them together and creating a sort of 'trailer' for your favorite clips set to the music of your choice. It's a difficult, dedicated process that seems to have started several years ago, but is still pretty much alive and well today--at least for the time being.

So far, most of the vidders are in the Buffy, the Vampire Slayer/Angel catagory, so you can see why I like it, but I've also found videos for The X-Files, Smalleville, and Dawson's Creek, as well as movies like Lord of the Rings and Secretary.

Vids are creating using certain software, where you rip DVD's, take TV clips from them and piece them together with music and special effects. I won't go into the details of how to make vid, that's useless here. But suffice it to say, vidding takes talent. Editing talent; a flair for timing, a sense of storytelling, visual flair and a story idea/purpose.

I'll post some links just so you can see the awe inspiring, thought provoking vids from some very talented and devoted fans.

Seriously, some of these vids are just so phenomenal that you won't believe it. Some vidders make it look soooo easy, but I'm one to believe it's no where near easy.

Some links are award sites and lead to other links.

Txlsplash's Buffy site
Spike and Stakes Videos
Maria's Vid's
Indifferent Obsession
Smallville Video Archive
inkrypted

A Very Good Archive:
Buffyverse Music Video Database

Some of you may not be interested, but seriously, if you have the download capabilities, and even if you have dial up, I'd like to reccomend several of the best I've seen. They will either download in Real Player or Windows Media Player, so you need those in order to view.


I reccommend:

"Boulvard of Broken Dreams" (Spiderman 2), "Apocalpse, Please" and "Last Resort" (Angel) from Indifferent Obsession
"Whisper", "Schism" and "Figured" (Buffy) from Creative Refuge
"Naughty Girl" by Cec and Kaycee at indifferent obsessions

If you only watch one, watch, "Schism" from Creative Refuge
Gunngirl believed The Truth is still Out There at 2:30 AM  
1 commentst:
  • At 2:12 PM, Blogger LovelyBucket said…

    Go ahead Girl! Make your vids, I'm sure you will have no problem with it. And just remember, Lovelybucket thinks you're cool.

    -The Bucket

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
    Follow me on Twitter!
     
    Who's behind this madness?

    Name: Gunngirl
    Home: Chicago, IL, United States
    Would you like to know more?
    Virtual Gunngirl
      Yahoo! Avatars
    Scooby Gang
    The Chosen Ones
    The Bronze


    Dusted
    The Library
    Elsewhere to be?

    Subscribe with Bloglines Catster: the site for cat lovers Add to Google

    More Buffy love
    The Mansion



    Catster: the site for cat lovers

    Made possible by

    15n41n1