Must Be Tuesday
Chatter from A to Z with a special place for Buffy, Angel and Apolo Anton Ohno.
Tuesday, June 05, 2007
Mid Week Mood
I haven't been up to much. I'm trying to get my Mojo back and get back into writing. I'm going to be 90 by the time I finish my damn book. I am not the writer I should be. I have yet to carefully plan out my plot, the characters, the story, events and locals.

It's not writers block, or even procrastination. I don't know what it is. Actually, I think it's just the simple fact that I don't know what kind of story I want to tell. Any originality is sorely lacking. There's a trillion and one books featuring Vampires, and most are crap. Out of that trillion, 4 are readable.

I want a dark story, I want a lead character with darkness and light, I want her to be a hero, but flawed and fighting her own personal battles. I want her to be special, but not really know that she is. I want her to be supernatural, but I have yet to figure out just how to introduce that. I want her to be born with this skill, but there needs to be a reason why she is born with this skill.

Initially I was going to be having her working for this organization that fought demons, but that is edging too close to my Beloved and well watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer. (er, Homage anyone?)

There are somethings I have worked out, but other (big important ones like, oh, I don't know, like THE PLOT!) are doomed.

I've been to square one so many times it's starting to look like a circle.

Oh well. One of these days, Alice. One of these days.

Labels: ,

Gunngirl believed The Truth is still Out There at 8:13 PM  
3 commentst:
  • At 2:46 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    It actually sounds as if you have made a good start on your book without even realising it. I mean you know roughly where you want to go with it and think your problem is just getting the first page out of the way. Starting something is always the most difficult part of something because after that you force yourself to complete it. I would suggest that you get the first 10 or 15 sentences sorted out and then take things a page at a time after that then you'll be able to roll with things :)
    If you get stuck just as your blog readers for ideas. We'll get you through it ;)

    Is Alice your real name? I never knew that :)

     
  • At 6:34 PM, Blogger Gunngirl said…

    Gareth--Thanks. Actually, I guess I do have most of the idea already. Hmm, imagine that. I just worry about it being convincing, I want my readers to be able to fall into my world and not be put off by the lack of originality or that if feels phony. I want my readers to just go with it and love it, like Harry Potter readers. Those readers don't give a second thought to all that made up nonsense, because Rowlings is able to convince you,she's a great writer.

    Oh,and I got the line "One of these days Alice" from the Honey Mooners. It was a TV show and the lead character always threated to pop his wife one when she got to close to a nerve. So, no, my name is not Alice.

     
  • At 9:12 PM, Blogger Phats said…

    I'd buy it as long as you autograph my copy. When they make it into a movie are you going to get Apollo to play the lead? His dance partner was really cute

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
    Follow me on Twitter!
     
    Who's behind this madness?

    Name: Gunngirl
    Home: Chicago, IL, United States
    Would you like to know more?
    Virtual Gunngirl
      Yahoo! Avatars
    Scooby Gang
    The Chosen Ones
    The Bronze


    Dusted
    The Library
    Elsewhere to be?

    Subscribe with Bloglines Catster: the site for cat lovers Add to Google

    More Buffy love
    The Mansion



    Catster: the site for cat lovers

    Made possible by

    15n41n1