Must Be Tuesday
Chatter from A to Z with a special place for Buffy, Angel and Apolo Anton Ohno.
Saturday, March 18, 2006
Crush or Crazy?
I watched Jeopardy today after a really long time and I realized that I know nothing. LOL. The big brains on that show blew me away.

Now, on to todays top story...

A couple of blogs got me thinking this week. First from Diva and then from Shannon. I'm gonna go with talking about Shannon because it correlates with my own ongoing attraction to a certain speed skater.

Shannon talked about crushes and what makes a crush, and do you still get crushes, and an overall crush theme. Well, I thought waaaaay back to grammar school when I had a crush on, dare I say his name? Larry. Yes, he was tall and cute with dark hair and his best friend was THE hot guy. So they were a 'terrific twosome' if you will. I don't know why I set my sights on Larry when all the other girls wanted Shawn, his friend.

Anyway, I had a hard crush on this guy and back in 8th grade. You remember how you lined up for everything? Well, I just remember being lined up outside the classroom his class was in and not being able to wait for them to come out and pass us. I barely contained my girlish glee along with all the other girls waiting for a glimpse of "the two."

Then, lo and behold, I was on my way to McDonald's one day afterschool and there he was headed there too. He smiled at me, struck up a conversation (well, we did know each other, we were classmates) and we ended up eating together. Best day of my life? At the time yes. Nothing came of it, but it was cool that he hung out with me. He had no idea I was crushing on him so I don't consider our pseudodate a pity date. Just a nice, distant memory.

Fast forward and I've had several crushes since then. One led to a two year relationship, others never amounted to anything. But, I have a very obsessive spirit. I know, you're shocked :) but when I latch onto something, it starts out a crush, or just liking it, and then BOOM! it's all I think about.

My first real total obsession, crazy, that's-all-I-think-about wasn't even a person. Not a man, not even a woman but a TV show. Yes, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. When that show premiered I was still watching Beverly, Hills 90210 and wasn't that into it but watched it anyway.

Soon, I taped it, grew to love it, watched it everyday, trolled the internet for info. Bought everything I could afford and begged others to get me stuff when I couldn't. It was a total obsession and I couldn't get enough Buffy, Buffy, Buffy.

I remember loving the show in the beginning because when Buffy came to Sunnydale she wasn't popular or the prettiest and she became friends with Willow, over Cordelia. Willow, shy and dorky was...me. Yep. I could identify with Willow--and the entire "Scooby Gang." They had a small clique, weren't popular, often had awkward encounters with the opposite sex and had a fierce friendship. I loved it! A TV show changed my life. Years later I'm still immersed in Buffy. Later they got more fashion conscious, Willow turned gay, they all had several destructive sexual relationship and went down shame spirals in their lives.

In other words, I couldn't identify with them so much anymore. Still, I love that show and will until the end. And it's still the core meaning of the show that keeps me obsessed.

Now, I wouldn't say Apolo is a new obsession. I've enjoyed him ever since 2002. I kept up with him during his other races and progress updates only by internet. It was the only way. But when the Winter Olympics roll around I get visuals! I get exciting races! I get real, live Apolo and my obsession flares up like a long, dormant dose of the herpes virus.

I just don't think I have a crush on him, but that I'm obsessed. I've been watching my Olympic tapes every day, and even with meeting other guys, I'm still all about Apolo. Not that I'm foregoing relationships because of him. (not that there are any relationships to speak of) but I think about him everyday, and spend hours at his fan websites. The recent Olympics just made it worse. When these 4 years roll around I realize how much I missed seeing his face and seeing him in action.

What attracts me to him is not just physical, but everything. He seems very cool and laid back. I like his voice, his eyes, his lips; I love the way he skates, his smile. I like the way he laughs and the way he takes things in stride. I think he's funny and very, very nice to his fans, and just a generally friendly, generous, likable person. I like all the interesting facts about his life and his life at the OTC (Olympic Training Center) especially his clashes with the federation and staff/coach changes. I just think he's great.

I'm sure no one would think a black chick would be so obsessive over Buffy and Apolo Anton Ohno. Well, there it is. LOL. That's what I get for reading those blogs, made me open up. I guess the overall theme of this post is that every now and then I realize my obsessions. My sister doesn't have any. I can't think of a single thing she obsesses over. Things come and go with her.

Me? I'll want to be buried with my Buffy DVD's. ROTFL! Yes, it's that bad.

(I hope no potential husbands read this. heh)
Gunngirl believed The Truth is still Out There at 12:04 AM  
3 commentst:
  • At 11:13 AM, Blogger Gunngirl said…

    Sherry-- LOL, I hear you. I think I know something then I watch that show. Puts it all into place. Sheesh.

    Diva--*wink* You knew it already didn't you? LOL So, now we can be 2 non-blonds. heh

    Shannon--Thanks for stopping by. Tee hee. My sister teases me about it but she thinks it's cute too. I guess being addicted to Apolo is better than say..heroin. LOL

     
  • At 7:42 AM, Blogger Linda said…

    GG your to cute for words. Like Sherry said potential hubbies will have to deal with it. :)

    You got me wondering what I have missed all this time by not watching Buffy(don't hate me lol) and you also got me looking for the Wheaties box with Apolo. That is a good thing. :)

     
  • At 7:06 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    Its okay to be interested, but you have to have other interests too. As long as you do, its fine. If your interest in him becomes your only focus in life, you need to get involved in something else.

    Jeopardy.... puts me in my place!!

    Thanks for letting me put my 2 cents in!! I enjoyed reading.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
    Follow me on Twitter!
     
    Who's behind this madness?

    Name: Gunngirl
    Home: Chicago, IL, United States
    Would you like to know more?
    Virtual Gunngirl
      Yahoo! Avatars
    Scooby Gang
    The Chosen Ones
    The Bronze


    Dusted
    The Library
    Elsewhere to be?

    Subscribe with Bloglines Catster: the site for cat lovers Add to Google

    More Buffy love
    The Mansion



    Catster: the site for cat lovers

    Made possible by

    15n41n1