Must Be Tuesday
Chatter from A to Z with a special place for Buffy, Angel and Apolo Anton Ohno.
Sunday, March 05, 2006
And the winner is...

The Oscars are tonight. Does anyone care? *ignores crickets chirping* I mean besides the nominees. I sorta care. I'm pulling for Brokeback Mountain to win. No, I still didn't get a chance to see it and that totally sucks because every time I wanted to go I started feeling guilty that I should have been doing school work instead.

Anyway, there's been a lot of Oscar talk and over hype of celebrities and I just don't feel the same way I did years ago about the Oscars. I used to feel some sort of excitment, don't know why, but I actually looked forward to looking at it.

I think because several years ago I started to see the Academy Awards in a new light. Mainly with Brokeback Mountain it made me think about it again. I think it was Bill Maher that said that Brokeback Mountain is not a "gay cowboy" movie. Again, I havent's seen it but thankfully I was able to read the short story it's based on and, like Bill stated, the characters, Jack and Ennis, don't spent an awful lot of time 'being gay.'

Their "fishing trips" took them away from prying eyes to a place where they could be together. Yes they had a homosexual relationship, and they loved each other and they wanted to spend the rest of their lives together but the movie spans 20 years, through marriages and children of both characters.

It's a love story, it's a drama, it's about two men who are in love with each other but just can't make it work. I think the movie deserves more than to just be called a 'gay cowboy' movie. And while I praise it I don't like the fact that a movie like this wouldn't get praised had it been an Independent film without known stars or the fact that so many people are fascinated with two men kissing.

Two men kissing? On screen? So what?

While the Academy has moved forward, finally honoring a black man and woman with Best Actor and Actress, something that hasn't been done in over 40 years, there are some things that just won't change.

Such as the fact that if you have some sort of affliction, trauma, disadvantage, emotional breakdown or deal with weighty subject matter, your chances of winning are very good.

Yes, Lord of the Rings slipped in there, but that's an exception.

When an actor or actress has to overcome something, we all know they're a shoe-in for Oscar to perk up his golden ears. Examples include:

Forrest Gump
My Left Foot
A Beautiful Mind
Schindler's List
Philadelphia
Platoon
Rain Man

Not to say they weren't deserving, but you know what I'm trying to say. I'm one to say that 85% of the time I agree with the best picture winner, it's the other 15% where I feel other movies are overlooked because the basic requirements weren't met.
Gunngirl believed The Truth is still Out There at 6:30 PM  
4 commentst:
  • At 8:48 PM, Blogger Shannon said…

    I never really cared for the Oscars.. but I have to say I wanted to see little Reese win.. and she did. I just think she is so intelligent .. I adore her movies and she is so cute, I just wanna pinch her! lol

    I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee your new blog decor!! OMG how awesome is this??? Wait until my brother is over.. I am going to show him your blog, he will freak!!

    Awesome!! =)

     
  • At 6:28 AM, Blogger beadinggalinMS said…

    Well said GG!! :)
    My daughter and I watched them this year.

     
  • At 9:29 AM, Blogger mg said…

    OOOOOOH~! *coos*

    I LOVE THIS TEMPLATE!!!!!!

    ;)

    Well done!

    mg

     
  • At 10:20 AM, Blogger High Desert Diva said…

    I watched part of the oscars.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
    Follow me on Twitter!
     
    Who's behind this madness?

    Name: Gunngirl
    Home: Chicago, IL, United States
    Would you like to know more?
    Virtual Gunngirl
      Yahoo! Avatars
    Scooby Gang
    The Chosen Ones
    The Bronze


    Dusted
    The Library
    Elsewhere to be?

    Subscribe with Bloglines Catster: the site for cat lovers Add to Google

    More Buffy love
    The Mansion



    Catster: the site for cat lovers

    Made possible by

    15n41n1