Must Be Tuesday
Chatter from A to Z with a special place for Buffy, Angel and Apolo Anton Ohno.
Sunday, July 27, 2008
The Truth is Finally Out There

FINALLY "The X-Files: I Want to Believe" has come to theaters. After over two months of me spoiling myself, discussing, debating, and re-watching countless hours of episodes and re-obsessing with fanfiction my favorite investigative paranormal duo is back on the big screen, but more importantly just back together period.

I would like to say the movie is rooted firmly in 'just okay' but it was a little better than 'just okay' It slipped and sloshed through a plot that should have been better developed and way more creepy. I love Mulder and Scully and love David and Gillian for being on board for another movie 10 years later. I think they really knew this was for the fans and I thank them for it. Despite reviews, I am really thankful to have the reunion and the update on my favorite FBI agents. I give them each a kiss for that.

There is a plot about illicit organ harvesting and creating a "Frankenstein" type creation of sewing on male heads on female bodies, and also internal body parts as well. I don't have many readers so I don't think I'm spoiling anyone, and I don't think my 4 readers are X-Files fans anyway. But this type of plot is very bleak and ominous and right in line with TXF and could have been done so much better, I'm surprised Chris Carter didn't give us a better written story.

I feel bad because during many a viewing of Carter, Duchovny and Anderson at WonderCon on YouTube there was much talk of how "scary" it was and it was NOT! It was as far from scary as it could get and I wish they would have stopped saying that. Episodes were certainly scary and creepy and actually better than this movie. AND YET...

At the heart of the movie, I think, was Mulder and Scully and while we still had a story and a plot, fans only want that. They are who we love, they are who we stood in line to see. I came out of my house and went to a theater to see Mulder and Scully and I'd do it again for another movie too. I love Mulder and Scully and David and Gillian stepped right back into these characters with an effortless ease. They are older and wiser and their lives have been turned upside down. Mulder, on the run from the FBI, spends most of his days clipping news stories of strange stories and seems a little harried from it. A little depressing to see him this way, but soon he is back to the old Mulder and I continue to love him.



I adore that he and Scully are together and it is fantastic to know that they went on the run together and stayed together. Warms my heart just to know that these two are really in love now and are going to be together. There's just something in knowing that, in knowing that watching the show all those years and wanting them to end up together and knowing that our wishes were granted...Sigh. LOVED THAT!

The story follows religion, faith, beliefs, trust, forgiveness and also gay issues, but I won't get into too much of that in case someone wants to be surprised.

David and Gillian look great and have aged well. They look so beautiful and only a few shots of Gillian were unflattering and I wish the director saw that. They were horrible.

Overall, I like the movie. I plan on seeing it again and I hope that it does well enough that we can get another movie in a couple of years. I am a little embarrassed for those involved because fans have been blasting it since Friday and it's not getting any better. BUT we got Mulder and Scully together again and if nothing else, that will bring people around. For this movie that seems to be all we have a the moment. I think repeat viewings will help me make better connections and like it better, but for now I'm all about the Mulder and the Scully.

Do I recommend? Yes, I do. I think it has decent themes, though not excecuted well, but the acting is really tops and there is actually a nice amount of Mulder and Scully. It gets my vote.

Labels: , ,

Gunngirl believed The Truth is still Out There at 3:26 PM  
5 commentst:
  • At 5:20 AM, Blogger EnnuiHerself said…

    "nd I don't think my 4 readers are X-Files fans anyway."

    Nope. Thanks for saving me the $8.50. :) Glad you had fun though.

     
  • At 7:38 AM, Blogger Linda said…

    Thanks to you I knew the movie was coming out before I seen any previews of it. :)
    It looks interesting. I probably will watch it when it comes on DVD. Even though I am not a fan.

    Have a great week GG!! I may not be around much but I do think of you often. :)

     
  • At 7:40 AM, Blogger Linda said…

    Love your avatar!!!

     
  • At 5:11 AM, Blogger SoNSo1 said…

    Hmm. What with the box office being really low I can't imagine another xfiles movie unless they knock it down to 20 million dollars.

    I wonder if, in the intervening six years, were Scully and Mulder seeing each other? I got the feeling that she hadn't seen him for years. First, because the FBI would've totally known where to find Mulder if they knew Scully. Next, she looks about his office like she's not been there. But if that was the case, it makes them jumping in the sack seem funny and ludicrous in just short of a week.

     
  • At 10:33 AM, Blogger Bee said…

    Whoot! Hi! Thanks for checking out my site! I guess we are both carazy X-Files fans, huh? : )

    I lurved this movie so much. It was perfect for us obsessive fans.

    I'm in x-files heaven!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
    Follow me on Twitter!
     
    Who's behind this madness?

    Name: Gunngirl
    Home: Chicago, IL, United States
    Would you like to know more?
    Virtual Gunngirl
      Yahoo! Avatars
    Scooby Gang
    The Chosen Ones
    The Bronze


    Dusted
    The Library
    Elsewhere to be?

    Subscribe with Bloglines Catster: the site for cat lovers Add to Google

    More Buffy love
    The Mansion



    Catster: the site for cat lovers

    Made possible by

    15n41n1