Must Be Tuesday
Chatter from A to Z with a special place for Buffy, Angel and Apolo Anton Ohno.
Friday, December 01, 2006
I hear those sleigh bells ringing...


Well, the day after Thanksgiving marked the Holiday countdown, but now that it's officially December I think people are feeling the heat already. I decided to do a little shopping after work--for me mind you. But I couldn't find anything good, a waste of time.

We're not even doing a huge gift exchange this year, just one or two gifts and that's it. Which is fine because no one wants to spend a lot of money anyway, which brings me to my post.

I read in our daily newspaper RedEye about giftgiving and how to do it, what to buy, especially if you're dating someone new and you're not sure how much to spend. This girl said with a last boyfriend she bought him a fairly cheap gift (one) but his family bought her everything she'd ever mentioned, and then with her last boyfriend she bought him $70 cologne, jackets, etc and he bought her some jogging suit she didn't even want.

So she over did and under did on both occasions. I remember reading about this lady who bought for the babysitter, the mailman, the garbage man, etc. You know, to be nice but then in January you feel the pinch and feel stupid paying that bill.

Are you relegating gifts to immediate family? I don't have in laws, but I can imagine having to buy for his parents, his siblings, grandparents, his siblings kids, etc. Where do you draw the line? Are people offended if you decided not to give to everyone?

I think some people would be offended and call you cheap behind your back. But I say take a stand and stop all this spending. I like buying and giving gifts, but I like to give stuff that people really want. I mean, don't buy a $80 coffee maker for someone who you don't even know drinks coffee or some tech thing for someone who can barely figure out how to work the TV remote.

It's not worth it. However, I will spend a lot of money on my family for Christmas, I have in the past and I didn't mind, though with some of my aunts I might be bitter if they didn't give me something really cool and I spent a lot of money, which brings me back to my point in that I think the gift list can get out of hand sometimes.

But if you must buy for a lot of people, start early, hit the dollar stores, catch sales and dress the present up in the fanciest paper and bows you can, presentation means a lot.

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND EVERYONE! IT'S FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!
Gunngirl believed The Truth is still Out There at 7:52 PM  
6 commentst:
  • At 6:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Since money is tight with us we usually just buy for the kiddos. I send cards to the inlaws and friends. If I have the extra $$ I will buy for Lori and my brother, if I don't have it they understand.

    I was watching the weather yesterday and seen you was getting snow. Throw a snowball for me. :)
    Have a great weekend.

     
  • At 1:18 PM, Blogger Gunngirl said…

    I agree with you three, Beads> I see what you said about your sister, that's the way we are. We're not kids anymore, and I don't have kids so if no presents are exchanged it's not as big a deal as if the kids have nothing for Christmas.

    I buy what I want for myself and that's usually how I end up with what I really want, though my sis always knows what I REALLY want, (sometimes) and she'll buy it.

    I admit, I like giving and receiving, I think in the end we all want something to open on Christmas, but I, at least, try to make it count.

     
  • At 10:26 PM, Blogger Catch said…

    I buy for Mom, my 3 kids, my grandkids and a few relatives and a few friends that the people I work for. I do start early and I make a huge layaway so I dont have to charge anything.

     
  • At 8:47 PM, Blogger The Cat said…

    How come us boys don't stress as much about gift giving. Is it just that we are nn insensitive selfish lot ? Probably, but I bet we live longer.

     
  • At 9:45 PM, Blogger Phats said…

    Outside of my immediate family we just buy for my Grandma and the kids. I tried to argue I was still a kid but they didn't buy it haha

     
  • At 2:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'll start off by saying that I love buying presents for people.

    However Christmas shopping is particularly easy for me since I only have to buy for my parents and my best friend. While I do have a tendency to go overboard budget-wise, I never regret it come January. It helps that I try to purchase something that the recipient really wants instead of just going by price. Everyone's usually happy in the end. :)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
    Follow me on Twitter!
     
    Who's behind this madness?

    Name: Gunngirl
    Home: Chicago, IL, United States
    Would you like to know more?
    Virtual Gunngirl
      Yahoo! Avatars
    Scooby Gang
    The Chosen Ones
    The Bronze


    Dusted
    The Library
    Elsewhere to be?

    Subscribe with Bloglines Catster: the site for cat lovers Add to Google

    More Buffy love
    The Mansion



    Catster: the site for cat lovers

    Made possible by

    15n41n1