Must Be Tuesday
Chatter from A to Z with a special place for Buffy, Angel and Apolo Anton Ohno.
Wednesday, July 20, 2005
Let's play "Tag"
I was "tagged" for this post, so a shoutout to underachiever who not only linked me, but stops by often. Now, on to the blather...

Number of Books I own: 160

Last Book I Bought: "A writers guide to fiction" Elizabeth Lyon
It was added to my already high pile of writing books.


Last Book I Read: "Incubus Dreams" Laurell K. Hamilton. Her books have been going downhill, (typos anyone? Is her editor asleep?) but I know I'll be buying the next one anyway.


Five Books That Mean A Lot To Me:


1. Tiger Eyes by Judy Blume
A teen girl tries to get her life together after her father is shot in a store hold-up and her mother moves them to New Mexico. She meets a guy there, Wolf, who can symphatize with her fear and rage.

Cherished from my adolescence. I cry when I think of certain scenes. Sniff.

2. The Call of the Wild by Jack London
a big, strong dog named Buck is kidnapped from his happy home and existence, made into a sled dog and forced to become feral in order to survive.

A sad, but truely captivating book. All from Buck's perspective.

3. Animal Farm by George Orwell
The animals of Manor Farm stage an uprising against their owner.

I'll never forget the commandments. (Communism anyone?) Allegory at its best. Hee.

4. Blubber by Judy Blume
Linda, an overweight girl, does a report on whales, soon, the popular girl starts calling her blubber and everyone else joins in the taunting and teasing.

Another cherished one from my adolescence. (Blume ruled my childhood) A great book about bullying, self-esteem and tolerance. I still love it.

5. Nickle and Dimed: on (not) getting by in America by Barbara Ehrenreich
Basically, trying to get by on minimum wage; struggling to earn a living and survive in a society where the 'working poor' is never a truer statement.

A very interesting read; insightful and truthful. Though the author sometimes sounds like she's talking down to those struggling, it's still interesting (and sometimes sad) to see what people have to do to get by. Sometimes you can never get enough to get ahead so there's an evil, evil circle you travel.


That's just a sampling of my book tastes. For more please sign up for my Siminar:

Gunngirl's Literary World in Review: Free Siminar
Dancing Diva Amphitheatre
Anytown, USA
July 23, 2005 1-5 pm

Festival seating. Come early! (and bring anyone you can)
Gunngirl believed The Truth is still Out There at 11:26 AM  
3 commentst:
  • At 9:57 AM, Blogger Susan said…

    Sounds like fun to me. I'll join in!

     
  • At 4:33 PM, Blogger MC said…

    I also live Tiger Eyes. Such a great book...

     
  • At 4:33 PM, Blogger MC said…

    Or love it...whatever.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
    Follow me on Twitter!
     
    Who's behind this madness?

    Name: Gunngirl
    Home: Chicago, IL, United States
    Would you like to know more?
    Virtual Gunngirl
      Yahoo! Avatars
    Scooby Gang
    The Chosen Ones
    The Bronze


    Dusted
    The Library
    Elsewhere to be?

    Subscribe with Bloglines Catster: the site for cat lovers Add to Google

    More Buffy love
    The Mansion



    Catster: the site for cat lovers

    Made possible by

    15n41n1