Must Be Tuesday
Chatter from A to Z with a special place for Buffy, Angel and Apolo Anton Ohno.
Tuesday, December 20, 2005
Brokeback Mountain

Aside from Chronicles of Narnia, Fun with Dick and Jane and The Libertine, I want to see Brokeback Mountain. I saw the trailer a long time ago and didn't know what was going on. Actually, I found the trailer boring because I couldn't get the gist of the story from it and was like 'huh? I don't know what the tragedy is. I'm confused.' Yes, I'm usually like Jerry Seinfeld in watching movies: 'Is he with them? I thought he wasn't with them? Why did they shoot him?' Thus, I need explanation.

So, after my sis told me that there were some goings on on the mountain, and these two guys had this secret and then it didn't end so happily-ever-after I got interested. It helped that I'm a fan of both Ledger and Gyllenhaal. I liked Ledger in A Knight's Tale and 10 Things I Hate About You, and I liked Gyllenhaal in Donnie Darko, Jarhead, and The Good Girl.

And now that I know even more about the story I'm even more interested, and further still, now that I've read the short story I'm very intrigued. In case you don't know, the movie is based on a short story by Anne Proulx that won a Pulitzer and was published in the New Yorker.

It's about two cowboys who get a job wrangling sheep and end up falling in love and forming a very deep connection on the vast serene solitude of the Wyoming and Texas mountainsides. When they leave 'Brokeback Mountain' they don't forget what happened there but since this is 1963 and not Queer as Folk, they stifle those feelings; both get married, have children and watch those marriages go up in smoke.

They meet up occasionally for 'fishing trips' during a 20-year stretch that is ripe with confusion, longing, intense feelings, anger, joy and a deep hole that can never be filled. They want to be together so bad, but don't know how and fear the consequences if anyone found out.

I've said before I like Forbidden Love and this is no exception. I like intense romance and sacrifice and lines like 'I wish I knew how to quit you' and passion between two people that is so strong and burning it hurts your eyes to look at them. To be honest, I wouldn't be able to get into it if it were two women. Unless it's Bound, possibly. But for some reason I feel it is more intense with two men than two women.

Lesbian relationships have never interested me, nor have I ever seen one with heat and belivable passion, except for the aforementioned movie.

This movie is only out in NY and L.A. now so I haven't seen it yet, but I'm waiting on it. It's getting good reviews, and a strange one from Roger Ebert who seemed to give it four stars then in a 1-minute movie critic review give it two stars. (???) But in the end he really liked it. I can't wait to see it.
Gunngirl believed The Truth is still Out There at 11:00 AM  
3 commentst:
  • At 4:30 PM, Blogger JPA in STL said…

    I saw this movie on Saturday night (12/17)and it was so AMAZING. I cried 3 times.

    I had previously read the short story earlier this year and have been waiting (patiently) for 6 months for the movie.

    Alot of "critics" refer to this movie as the "gay cowboy movie" but it's not. It's a love story. A story of commitment, devotion and a longing to love someone that you can't always be with.

    Most movies made from books are different, but not this one. It is true to the original story.

    The movie is scheduled for a wider release in January 2006. Hope you get a chance to see it. I will probably have seen it 4 or 5 times by then. (Yes it's that good).

    **FYI-I am the brother of BeadingGalinMS**

     
  • At 4:38 AM, Blogger tkrimms said…

    You may have convinced me to see this! The way you describe it, I don't know if I can pass it up!

    Can't remember how I came across your blog, maybe SCS or NaNoWriMo? I don't remember, maybe a blog of a blog of a blog :-)

     
  • At 8:27 AM, Blogger Linda said…

    I want to see it. After reading your post then talking with my brother via phone last night. I told him to come your way cause you had a post about it. I see that he made it.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
    Follow me on Twitter!
     
    Who's behind this madness?

    Name: Gunngirl
    Home: Chicago, IL, United States
    Would you like to know more?
    Virtual Gunngirl
      Yahoo! Avatars
    Scooby Gang
    The Chosen Ones
    The Bronze


    Dusted
    The Library
    Elsewhere to be?

    Subscribe with Bloglines Catster: the site for cat lovers Add to Google

    More Buffy love
    The Mansion



    Catster: the site for cat lovers

    Made possible by

    15n41n1