Must Be Tuesday
Chatter from A to Z with a special place for Buffy, Angel and Apolo Anton Ohno.
Thursday, December 22, 2005
Black Christmas
My poor stray cat is sick. Very sick. I don't know what's wrong with her but I have a bad feeling it's Feline Chronic Renal Failure (CRF) She's been sleeping in our basement, that is warm and dry, since it's been really cold and snowy. But last week she stopped eating and is drinking very little.

She used to be picky about the food, so we just figured she was being picky again, but after a couple of days, we got worried. Then she got on the couch and just sits there. She won't even get up to greet us like she used too. She has definetly lost weigh and is definetly not her usual self. She is wobbly and seems to be limping a little, but she did hurt a back foot a couple years ago. She did get off the couch today and went and sat in front of the furnace. She can walk, but is slow and wobbly sometimes.

With three other cats I can't exactly afford to take her to the vet. Which might be doable since she let me her pet and rub her for the first time since we've had her (at least six years and counting). I figured if I could rub her I could somehow get her into a carrier and take her somewhere, but I'm worried about the cost.

And if I take her to a shelter they'll figure I'm dropping her off and don't want her. I know there is no such thing as free vet care, but this is what I'm thinking: Most of the shelters I've researched will adopt a pet out for $75. I don't know what kind of medical treatment she might need, but if I took her somewhere maybe she could get treated then I can adopt her which would be cheaper than actually taking her to a vet.

I'm so worried about her, and unfortunetly CRF is fatal and there is no cure. I don't know if that's the case, but it sure seems like that is what she has. She hasn't exactly had a great life, living on the Chicago streets and all. We tried to give her the best life we could.

What do you think I should do? Do you think my attempt at free/low cost vet care is doable? Any suggestions? I thought about calling a vet but it'll probably be the same as when you call a doctor, they all can't tell you anything unless you come in. I'm not even sure what the treatment for CRF costs and I can't seem to find out. But it can't be less than $75.

ARRGH! *Cry*
Gunngirl believed The Truth is still Out There at 12:34 AM  
5 commentst:
  • At 12:29 PM, Blogger EnnuiHerself said…

    I'm so sorry about your sick kitty. (((hugs)))

    I'm wary of your plan to take her to a shelter and then trying to re-adopt her after treatment. I'm not sure how things are done at your local shelter, but at mine they would just put really sick animal down.

    I don't know if these people can help, but here's a link to a Cat Health message board: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CatVet/. Hopefully they can give you some good advice.

    EH

     
  • At 12:34 PM, Blogger Gunngirl said…

    Thanks EH. I don't know either, especially if I go in and say she's not really mine, though technically she is.

     
  • At 1:02 PM, Blogger Linda said…

    Gunngirl-*HUGS*
    I was faced with this when I found my sister's dog Chico and his sister. I am a sucker for strays. Chico's sister had a broken leg and was on the verge of dying. I don't know how long they were on their own. Anyways my point I took her to the local shelter cause I knew they would fix her up. I could not afford to at the time, plus I had 3 other dogs. If you have no other option then I would take her to the shelter.

     
  • At 1:11 PM, Blogger Gunngirl said…

    BG--I think you're right. I'm so depressed at that though. I love her, she's part of the family. But I can't stand to see her looking so terrible. It's even worse because she lets he rub her now and she pushes into my hand. *bawl*

    But I do realize I can't do anything myself, she needs professional care. But I know they will just put her down. Maybe a no-kill animal shelter then maybe I can re-adopt her. I don't know how she'll do as a house cat. She's been on the streets too long. Though she might do okay as the only cat in the house.

    Argggh! I don't know what to do!

     
  • At 3:37 PM, Blogger Linda said…

    Gunngirl-HUGS!!! It is heart breaking. I am crying with you here. I would try to find a no-kill shelter where you could adopt her. I know it puts the cost on the shelter but when you have no choice to me it is understandable. Keep me informed okay.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
    Follow me on Twitter!
     
    Who's behind this madness?

    Name: Gunngirl
    Home: Chicago, IL, United States
    Would you like to know more?
    Virtual Gunngirl
      Yahoo! Avatars
    Scooby Gang
    The Chosen Ones
    The Bronze


    Dusted
    The Library
    Elsewhere to be?

    Subscribe with Bloglines Catster: the site for cat lovers Add to Google

    More Buffy love
    The Mansion



    Catster: the site for cat lovers

    Made possible by

    15n41n1